Elder Rights WA
Elder Rights WA (ERWA) is a specialist legal advice and assistance service located within the Civil Law Division at Legal Aid WA.
Legal Aid WA is a member of the Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse and a member of the Department of Justice Elder Abuse Reference Group.
We have developed ERWA to provide effective legal assistance to older people experiencing any form of elder abuse, and to safeguard and advocate for the rights of older people in Western Australia.
You can read more about our work and aims in our Elder Rights WA Strategy 2023-2025.
Who can use Elder Rights WA?
Our criteria for accessing ERWA is flexible. There is no age limit, but generally clients are over 55 years of age. We can provide third parties (such as carers or other family members) with information and referrals, but we cannot provide them with personalised advice.
How can Elder Rights WA help?
Help is free and confidential. ERWA offers a number of different services, including:
- Legal advice and assistance on certain issues (see below)
- Representation in certain guardianship and administration matters in the State Administrative Tribunal
- Mediation and dispute resolution of suitable matters
- Information sessions and community legal education
- Referrals to community and government agencies (for example, Advocare).
The main areas of legal practice include:
- Elder abuse
- Planning for the future, including advising about Powers of Attorney, Enduring Powers of Attorney, Enduring Powers of Guardianship, Advanced Health Directives and Wills
- Guardianship and administration when someone has a decision making disability
- Living arrangements, including granny flats and moving in with family
- Issues involving grandchildren.
How can I access help from Elder Rights WA?
Elder Rights WA operates from Legal Aid WA's Perth office.
Advice can be provided by phone, face to face and through community outreach. Legal Aid WA also offers virtual offices, home visits and visits to retirement villages and aged care facilities.
You can find information and resources about ERWA below.